Here is a list of things to do to save money for top surgery as there are a lot of guys wondering how to get the money they need for surgery (or anything else really). Here is a list of the ways that different people save up for top surgery successfully.
1) Savings Account: Go to the bank and make a savings account. Do not give yourself access to this account with your debit card and do not touch it unless you absolutely have to (food, rent, et cetera)
2) Sell, Sell, Sell: Look around your house and sell anything you can sell on Craigslist (or anywhere else) whether it’s a guitar or even just some DVDs $10 towards surgery is better than nothing.
3) Get a job (or two): Every minute that you’re working you are making money towards something you need/want. That should feel pretty good. No one really wants to go flip hamburgers at McDonalds but the satisfaction of watching your savings account grow is worth all the grease. If you can, try to get a second job, a good idea for a second job if you go to school is something such as babysitting, cleaning gutters, and other odd jobs that people might need done.
4) Return Bottles/Cans: Save all your pop, water, and juice cans and bottles and take them to the bottle depot for cash back. If you see a can or bottle when you’re out pick it up.
5) Buy Bulk: Go to Costco (or somewhere similar) and stock up on bulk non-perishables like toiletries, tylenol, pasta, rice and other product you’ll need to buy monthly.
6) Avoid eating/drinking out: Cut back or ideally cut out eating at restaurants, buying coffee out, buying snacks out, et cetera. This doesn’t mean you can never eat out or buy a coffee but think about it first - think about the money you’re spending. Also, think about cheaper options. If a friend invites you to go to Starbucks buy a regular coffee or tea instead of a drink that costs nearly $4.
7) Eat cheap: Brand names are expensive for almost no reason. Look at the cheaper options for the name foods. Also, certain foods might just be out of your price range. Learn to cook bean dishes, and other food that isn’t generally too expensive.
8) Social Spending: If you want to go out with friends by all means do so. Go to the bar, but watch out that you aren’t buying drink after drink which is eating up your money. The movies are fun but expensive, maybe a night in with DVDs and friends is a better option and usually just as fun (if not more fun because you can make fun of the movie)
9) Thrift Stores: For the next couple years most of your clothes might have to come from thrift stores.
10) Only buy what you need: Needing and wanting are two very different things. You might want to buy that new shirt or coffee maker but if you don’t need it then don’t buy it. It will be worth it in the end.
Remember that it will be worth it in the end. It’s going to be hard and it might suck sometimes but it is going to be worth it when you see your saving account grow and finally reach the amount you need.
How did you raise money for top surgery? Let us know!